California State University, Dominguez Hills serves a diverse, growing student body and offers a wide range of courses, programs and activities that reflect a commitment to multiculturalism and prepare students for success in a global society. Students can choose from a strong selection of academic programs reflecting today’s high-demand fields, such as teacher education, healthcare and nursing, and business administration. A leader in distance-learning, the university offers nine academic degree programs and seven certificate programs online.
CSU Dominguez Hills is a center for cultural life in the South Bay area of Los Angeles County. The new Library South Wing is a state-of-the-art facility that will serve the university and community far into the 21st century. The campus is also home to StubHub Center, a world-class stadium in Southern California.
High Magnitude Economic Impact
CSU Dominguez Hills’ annual impact on the Los Angeles region and the State of California is enormous:
- Annual spending related to CSU Dominguez Hills ($190 million) generates a total impact of $328.4 million on the regional economy, and nearly $335.3 million on the statewide economy.
- This impact sustains nearly 3,000 jobs in the region and statewide economy.
- Per year, the impact generates more than $18.5 million in local and nearly $20 million in statewide tax revenue.
- Even greater–more than $1 billion of the earnings by alumni from CSU Dominguez Hills are attributable to their CSU degrees, which creates an additional $1.7 billion of industry activity throughout the state.
CSU Dominguez Hills enhances the quality of life in the Los Angeles region through community service, arts, culture, and sports.
- CSU Dominguez Hills is home to the award-winning University Theatre complex. The Theatre Arts Department, including the Teatro Dominguez theatre company and the New African Grove Black Theatre Program, offers plays, readings, and other performances. Musical concerts, dance recitals, lectures, local entertainment, and cultural programs also take place on the main stage. The main University Theatre can seat 485; the smaller Edison Theatre accommodates 70.
- The Loker Student Union serves as a social and cultural center and provides a beautiful and dynamic event venue for the campus and surrounding community. The facility features 120,000 square feet of meeting and event space that includes the 800-seat Dominguez Ballroom, conference rooms, a sports bar, and a fine dining restaurant.
- The University Art Gallery is one of the major exhibition spaces of the South Bay area, holding five exhibitions a year. The gallery has over 2,000 square feet of exhibition space and 18′ high ceilings, and can accommodate large-scale paintings and sculptures by artists of local and national reputation. The gallery is also used as a forum for student art critique classes, discussions with artists, university and community guest lecture series and events.
- NCAA athletic programs are enhanced by the high quality of athletic facilities on the campus. StubHub Center at CSU Dominguez Hills is an official U.S. Olympic training site and multi-sports complex for world-class soccer, tennis, track and field, lacrosse, and cycling, as well as other events. Situated on 125 acres, StubHub Center includes a 27,000-seat soccer stadium that is home to Major League Soccer’s Los Angeles Galaxy and Chivas USA.
CSU Dominguez Hills students gain work experience as interns at StubHub Center and student-athletes have the use of some of the outstanding facilities, including tennis courts, soccer training fields and a three-mile jogging trail with twelve fitness stations.
- The new south wing library addition is a stunning facility posed to serve the evolving educational, research and cultural needs of a growing university and the surrounding community. Doubling the university’s existing library space, the 140,000-square-foot, five-story extension provides ample space to access the university’s entire collection of books and research materials, more places to study, as well as a technologically advanced archival storage and research area, an events center, and art gallery that will accent the multi-cultural population of the South Bay.
CSU Dominguez Hills improves California’s economy with research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- CSU campuses consistently earn national accolades for the quality of their teaching programs. Some of the campuses, for example, house alternatives to large, traditional high schools. The California Academy of Math and Science on the CSU Dominguez Hills campus is one such example. The CSUDH School of Education is recognized for preparing teachers, administrators, counselors and specialists to work in the diverse urban schools within the Los Angeles region. Innovative programs provide numerous ways to enter the teaching profession, such as Transition to Teaching, an alternative teacher certification model that prepares highly qualified candidates with professional backgrounds in mathematics and science to teach those subjects in the high-needs schools in the Los Angeles Unified and Lynwood Unified School Districts.
- The School of Nursing is a leader in providing hospital and healthcare facilities throughout the South Bay and the state with well-educated nurses. The Bachelor of Nursing and Master of Nursing programs offer working nurses a convenient way to further their education in the field of nursing, improve their skills, and advance their career. While the Master’s Entry Level Professional Nursing (MEPN) program trains individuals with degrees in other fields.
- CSU Dominguez Hills’ Masters in Business Administration, Masters in Public Administration, M.A. in Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding, and M.S. in Quality Assurance have been recognized by GetEducated.com as among the top 10 “best buys” in online programs.
- The Institute for Entrepreneurship, Small Business Development, and Global Logistics at CSU Dominguez Hills focuses on minority and female entrepreneurs. The Institute holds an annual business plan competition where student teams compete on abstracts, business plans, and oral presentations, evaluated by entrepreneurs and professionals.
- The Department of Computer Science at CSU Dominguez Hills has formed strong partnerships with local companies. Along with providing instructors from the industry, student internships and avenues of employment to graduates, corporate partners assist the university in developing curriculum that reflects the needs of employers.
- The Center for Training and Development at CSU Dominguez Hills works with the local business community to develop custom-designed training programs to help meet the demands of a face-paced workplace. A growing number of companies have taken advantage of the training offered through the center to help them maximize their intellectual assets and improve job performance.
- The CSU Dominguez Hills OSHA Training Institute (OTI) Education Center is the first authorized OSHA Education Center providing health and safety training for the more than 7.5 million workers in the greater Los Angeles area and services the entire Region IX, which includes Arizona, California, Hawaii and Nevada with its online programs.
A University for All Californians
The student body at CSU Dominguez Hills proudly reflects one of California’s greatest strengths–its ethnic and cultural diversity. The university’s student body is 28 percent African American, 42 percent Hispanic, 18 percent White, 12 percent Asian American/Pacific Islander and 0.3 percent Native American.