The CSU Dominguez Hills Education Employment Fair, sponsored by the Office of Student Development, will be held on Wednesday, April 19, in the Extended Education Complex, 12-4 p.m. A one-day event where school recruiters and potential teachers, counselors, and administrators can meet one another, the Education Employment Fair will provide information about opportunities with several districts or schools. Participants include school districts throughout California, Arizona, and Nevada; The Help Group, The School of Arts and Enterprise, and Cal/West Educators Placement. Candidates can identify and learn more about districts that are actively hiring, and pick up application forms. Some employers will be conducting on-site interviews.
Larry Gray, director, Student Development, shares some tips on how students can maximize opportunities at this event:
Preparing for the Fair
1. Determine which districts will be coming to the Fair by checking our Web site: http://www.csudh.edu/studev or by picking up a copy of the list in our office in Welch Hall, D-360.
2. Gather information about the districts you are interested in by visiting their Websites or district offices.
3. Prepare and make multiple copies of your resume. You can have your resume critiqued by the Student Development Office by dropping it off and picking it up on the next workday, by coming in during our drop-in hours, or by making an appointment with a career counselor.
4. Practice your interview skills. Attend an Interview Skills Workshop in Student Development or review standard questions, and prepare questions to ask the interviewers by role-playing with friends.
5. Plan to wear professional attire. First impressions count, even if you are just gathering information.
At the Fair
1. Come to the Student Development table and pick up a list of the school districts and a name tag.
2. Print your name and credential type clearly on your name tag so that the district staff can address you easily.
3. Orient yourself to the facility. The Fair is in the Extended Education Complex. The school districts are arranged alphabetically.
4. Relax. You’re prepared!
5. As you approach the tables, respect other people’s privacy as they complete conversations.
7. Establish eye contact, smile, and introduce yourself. Tell employers why you are interested in their district.
8. In one or two sentences, tell the representative about your background and skills.
9. Ask for business cards from the recruiters with whom you have spoken.
10. Try to make notes after the conversation, while the conversation is still fresh in your mind, writing down key names and information.
After the Education Employment Fair
Follow up with thank you letters. Don’t overlook the courtesy, especially if an interviewer or school official has been particularly helpful. This is especially important if you interviewed with a district that truly interests you. Your letter gives you another chance to state your interest and remind the interviewer of your conversation at the Fair.
The Extended Education Complex is located on the south end of Lot 3, off Toro Center Drive, which is accessible from the Tamcliff Street-Toro Center Drive entrance from East Victoria Street. Parking is $3. Parking permits are available from the yellow dispensing machines at the perimeters of parking lots.
CSUDH is at 1000 E. Victoria Street, off Avalon Boulevard between the 91 and 405 freeways. It is east of the 110 freeway from the 190th Street off ramp.
For more information on the Education Employment Fair or the Office of Student Development call (310) 243-3625.