By Gabriel Gomez, Bulletin Staff Reporter
CSUDH’s student newspaper, the Bulletin, has won six California College Media Association (CCMA) 2022 Excellence in Student Media Awards. The awards were announced at the Associated Collegiate Press Spring National College Media Conference at the Hyatt Regency in Long Beach, with students representing journalism schools from across the nation in attendance.
Three CSUDH seniors and three alumni were presented with first, second, and third place awards at the ceremony. Bulletin reporters Raven Brown, Brenda Fernanda Verano, Nova Blanco-Rico, Jasmine Nguyen, Darlene Maes, Daniel Tom, and Jasmine Contreras were recognized for stories written between December 2020 and December 2021. The Bulletin team also received a group award for their 2021 election special edition.
“I was happy, not just for me as a writer, but as editor in chief. Knowing that the paper you are leading is being recognized is always a nice feeling,” said Verano. “Having my managing editor recognized as well is the cherry on top. I’m so proud that our small, not as well-funded paper, is competing and winning among other big papers.”
For managing editor Blanco-Rico, the award symbolized that hard work pays off. “It made me feel seen,” he said. “It just furthered my goal in doing the work I do, and telling the stories I love through the photos I take.”
Bulletin reporter Jasmine Contreras took home the Best News Series third-place prize, her first-ever journalism award, for her stories on CSUDH’s return to campus and COVID-19 mitigation efforts. “The award makes me feel like I am capable of producing something great if I put my heart into it,” she said.
The 2021-2022 awards won by the CSUDH Bulletin are:
- First Place, Best Infographic, Raven Brown, “Changing Majors”
- Second Place, Best Newspaper Column, Jasmine Nguyen, Brenda Verano, and Daniel Tom
- Second Place, Best Non-Breaking News Story, Brenda Verano, “Outstanding Professor Award Recipient’s Mic Drop Moment at Last Month’s Virtual Ceremony”
- Third Place, Best News Series, Jasmine Contreras, “CSUDH Return to Campus”
- Third Place, Best Editorial Cartoon, Darlene Maes, “Job Application”
- Third Place, Best Special Issue Section, The CSUDH Bulletin Team, “Election Special Issue”